34 most common outsourcing questions asked by a potential client
The ICT outsourcing services are seen as a rentable investment to achieve a high level of efficiency in the business. The reason for such a huge interest in nearshore outsourcing is the overload, high demand on in time delivery, expertise, and experience that outsourcing companies may complement their clients.
62% of large organizations are outsourcing at least a portion of their application development work. (Computer Economics study, IT Outsourcing Statistics 2014/2015)
Considering that DAS Solutions is using and is integrating the latest technologies, we thought it would make sense to address the questions we hear the most from customers. The purpose of these answers is to simplify the perfect IT outsourcing service provider selection process and give you insights on how to gain trust. Likewise, for companies that are in the selection of the right development outsourcing partner, to know the right answer could be helpful in the selection process, avoiding some of the most expensive pitfalls.
59% of companies outsourced work to reduce costs. (Microsourcing)
A business owner could save around 60% of overall costs with outsourcing. (Outsource Accelerator)
Outsourcing can increase productivity by 10 to 100 times. (Economist)
Continue reading this article, discovering surprising and unexpected juicy details about which you probably did not even know.
Recruitment and Project Management
1. How do you recruit specialists to work on the project? / Where do you find your candidates?
When we have talents available in house, we offer their CVs to the customer with whom we have concluded the agreement. After a detailed examination of all provided CVs, the client invites the chosen candidates to interview, having the right to refuse or to select the best candidate/s.
Once the client needs a specific specialist while is not available in our team, we resort to multi-stage recruitment. It gives us a hand to meticulously review applicants’ backgrounds. The stages of recruiting that we rely on:
➜ CV screening – we analyze the candidate’s expertise;
➜ Technical interview – we exam talent’s English-language competence, his vision, values, experience and we offer tasks which should be completed, verifying the candidate’s technical skills;
➜ Discussion with the CEO.
2. What do you look for when hiring new developers/candidates?
Our primary focus during candidates’ selection is skills and ability to solve problems, here we refer to the solution-oriented value. Likewise, for us, it’s important how they act in different situations, for which we follow multiple approaches. We are delighted to say that a big part of our experts is qualified, certified, and highly experienced.
3. How skilled and researched is your development team?
Many of our specialists are constantly developing their skills and knowledge. Moreover, all personnel undergoes training, certification at a certain time.
4. What is the size of the team that will be involved with my project?
Following the audit and the advanced analysis, we come up with recommendations on the number of talents for each position needful to successfully develop the product. It depends on the project-specific requirements, expected delivery time, and the team configuration that would assure the best result possible.
5. Could one employee handle multiple functions?
Some of the candidates who are involved in providing ITO are trained to handle multiple tasks efficiently. This might be the case for the full-stack programmers, who are able to work on the back-end and the front-end of the project or applied to the golden team of DAS where our Seniors may perform as System Architects/Team leads and regular developers.
6. How do you deal with the rotation of people in projects?
To ensure maximum effective work of developers, we have a backup professional/s who is/are up to date with the project and other useful information, otherwise, we do agree with clients on the recruitment process to ensure that all positions are covered.
7. Will I have to train your employees?
Our experts constantly develop their skills and knowledge, being well trained and coached. The client can train employees at the initial stage, if there are more specific nuances such as particular processes, workflows, management systems, etc.. This training is requisite to align us and avoid misunderstandings in the future. See more details and recommendations in our blog article.
8. Will I have to supervise your employees?
For faster product delivery, an efficient and effective step, avoiding misunderstandings and mistakes, we suggest you get actively involved in the product development process. Online meetings through a dedicated communication channel 2-3 times a week are king advice from our side. In our experience, this method is the most beneficial to save customer’s and provider’s time, effort, and resources, providing a quality product.
9. How will I get to know that your team is working or not?
To ensure the implementation of tasks at the most effective level, we organize daily meetings and monitor the evaluation of tasks. Likewise, the time that is worked by each person is monitored by a special tool predestined for such processes. We also offer a weekly / monthly report of the tasks performed and the worked time by each developer.
10. Will the developers assign to my project work on any other project at the same time?
Every expert who is involved in product development is dedicated at the highest level only to this project and in none other than it.
11. Will the same people be assigned to my project for the length of the development effort?
In order to deliver an excellent client experience in time, we strive to proffer a long-term contract according to the client’s needs in the development and maintenance phase. We understand how important this aspect is.
12. How easy will it be to scale a team by 1/3/5 developers? How much time do you need?
It takes about up to 2-4 weeks to scale a team by 1/3/5 developers, depends on the needed number. If the client felt the need for this, we recommend to communicate as soon as possible.
13. How long does it take to start a project? / Where do I start?
Once we made a deal with the client, usual the kick off takes two to four.
14. How will you manage the project?
In order to manage the project, namely to estimate the implementation time of the activities, it is indispensable to have as much information about the company as possible.
15. What collaboration tools do you use during projects?
All communication with the client takes place through a dedicated communication channel and corporate email, protecting business data by Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP).
16. What is the client’s role in the project, and how much time is needed from the client?
The experiences we’ve had, show that the more the client gets involved in the project and our collaboration, the more successful the result is. Why does it work like that? As a result of the permanent communication, we simply understand the client’s needs. On the other hand, the client is always informed about what is happening with his project and at which stage it is, providing feedback when he deems it necessary. So, we get the final result in the desired time.
17. How do we communicate during a project to surface the progress, plans, and problems?
A regular schedule of online meetings, 2-3 / week, will provide a clear vision of the current situation of the project and problems. During these meetings, both sides will come up with solutions, ideas, and with the next steps of the activities.
18. Do you use decent technology?
We use the latest in regards to technologies, databases, tools, etc.
Documentation and Partnership
19. What are the first steps of cooperation?
Depending on the client’s need, we analyze in detail the requirements, materials, and documentation. Consequently, we offer qualified experts (developers/project managers/quality assurance engineers/business analysts, etc.). Additionally, we prepare the action plan and confirm it with the client.
20. How do you deal with partners in different time zones?
Analyzing our experience with overseas clients, we realize that we have never had problems with the time zones’ difference, while at the same time our experience is not that big with this, our 90% of our clients are from Europe.
21. How do you structure the partnership roles to be efficient and successful?
In order to avoid delays in project delivery, it is essential to discuss from the start the development processes and the attributions of each part that will appear.
Working with the client contains:
- ultimate transparency;
- maximum involvement;
- sincerity and straightforwardness;
- dedication and availability.
22. How do you ensure software quality?
To guarantee the code’s quality, we rescue to the frontend, backend, and infrastructure code audit. We pay special attention to this stage, accomplishing it in several ways:
- Automated code study through scanners that check the code for various parameters for each pull request. Plus, we’re checking issues typical of a particular programming language, for instance, Java often has problems with garbage collection and memory leaks. These language-specific issues should also be monitored during the code audit process.
- One more step in code review is based on the examination of code quality, architecture, optimization, the functionality of the code following compliance with the customer’s requirements.
- Our QA Engineers conduct stress and security tests, unit and integration tests. These validate complex scenarios and usually require external resources, like databases or web servers, to be present.
23. What will be the cost of my product?
There is no straightforward answer to this question because the final price is affected by many factors, including both your specific requirements and external market factors:
- project type and app complexity;
- design and UX;
- target group size;
- maintenance and others.
Get in touch with us for an appropriate estimate.
24. How do you support security compliance?
From the outset of the product development, developers are informed related to the client’s policy and regulations. In such a way, only the professionals involved in the project have access to the code, adhering to all standard security and encryption procedures in the process. Therefore, we protect customer data, ensure security compliance, and deliver proper security documentation that includes:
- features and components with firewall configuration;
- vulnerability patching;
- incident response;
- intrusion detection systems;
- demilitarized zones;
- intrusion prevention systems and more.
Once the experts work remotely, we use VPN, so only some people have access to production servers, where they can make changes.
25. How much access should I give to your team?
Usually, in order to get into the essence of the project and to fully understand the client’s needs, values, is necessary to offer:
- technical requirements (as comprehensive as possible);
- business process documentation (step-by-step description);
26. Do you subcontract your services?
Yes, sometimes, though prefer to keep all the work in-house. We cooperate with reputable companies in a similar field. Our understanding has been friendly for many years. When recruiting, we turn to our partners, sometimes subcontracting their talents.
27. Do you provide a service-level agreement (SLA)?
Of course. To ensure a 100% beneficial collaboration for both parties, both customer and provider, we certainly use the service-level agreement (SLA) which includes the list of assistance actions, end-to-end program management, and deliverables.
28. How flexible is the SLA?
Depending on the project’s needs, the number of needed professionals and other resources will change. In this way, the SLA is as flexible as possible.
29. Who will own the source code?
The client is the sole code owner with all the intellectual property rights.
30. Do you provide technical documentation?
Definitely. We offer technical documentation which contains the road map, code, and methodology of the project.
31. What is your reporting process?
The reporting process, which we provide, contains the standard set of reports, a work timeline where is mentioned the date of delivery of each report, we use a well know reporting system.
Experience and Practice
32. For how long are you in the outsourcing business?
We have 8 years of experience in delivering the IT Outsourcing service. During this period, we have successfully helped companies across Europe to find the right IT experts for their projects.
33. What kinds of companies do you typically do work with?
Since 2013, DAS Solutions has gained the recognition and trust of more than 40 customers globally from the following industries:
- Finance & Banking;
- Healthcare and Pharmaceuticals;
- Travel and Booking;
- Business Management;
- Real Estate;
Our team has put a lot of effort into creating, implementing, successfully carrying customers’ projects of different levels.
34. Why are you better than other software houses? What makes you special?
During 8 years of work, in any situation, we remained customer-oriented, offering quality and justified costs. DAS Solutions is a company that has won the trust of customers through receptivity, open mind, dedication, and appropriate actions in stressful situations. We can certainly say that we are among the TOP in the region IT Outsourcing providers.
We have listed some of the most frequently asked questions in the context of IT outsourcing, whose goal is to help companies reduce their costs and increase their productivity by working with the right customer to win the customer’s heart. Of course, the topic is broad and there are still many questions that others are looking for answers to. We’d be glad to arrange a call to begin answering any additional questions. Contact us, we may be the outsourced IT partner you were looking for.
Tell us about your project