Warehouse Management Software – all you need to know to succeed
Nowadays you can buy almost anything online, paying from any location across the Globe. Moreover, you have even the possibility to arrange returns. In such a way, when you buy or return a product, the data about all processes need to be monitored and reflected somewhere. For this reason, many companies start thinking about using IT solutions for warehouse management and are implementing a Warehouse Management Software (WMS).
What is WMS?
Warehouse Management Software (WMS) optimizes and accelerates key warehousing tasks by directing receiving, put away, picking, packing, shipping, and space utilization along optimized routes. This software is a fully automatic mode, an electronic system that helps to centrally manage and control all processes. Especially for high-rise warehouses, it is difficult to imagine working without such assistance. Thanks to such solutions, warehouse stocks are always up-to-date, and you get a maximum degree of transparency regarding the current activities of the warehouse.
Also, Warehouse Management Software makes it possible to rationally use the warehouse space, accelerates the formation of batches of goods, and helps to correctly place the received products. In addition, this makes it possible to improve the quality of staff work, as well as to establish control over their actions.
Summing up, Warehouse Management Software provides better control over:
- inventory management;
- the rotation rate of goods;
- optimizing routes and flows;
- operator control.
Why WMS is needed?
Besides all the positive parts mentioned above, the advantages of the Warehouse Management Software are:
• performing the functions of a distribution center;
• updating of internal control systems;
• reducing the cost of heating and lighting automated warehouses (after all, there are no people in them);
• placement of information about the receipt of goods to all divisions of the enterprise;
• reducing the size of the wage fund for employees of the warehouse (automation of many processes, including accounting) makes it possible to optimize the staff, reducing its part);
• increasing the level of company service and customer loyalty, which automatically ensures an increase in sales, turnover and, in general, profits (accelerating operational actions, increasing productivity, reducing errors, reducing customer returns, etc.);
• reduction of monetary losses associated with the write-off of overdue balances (automated deliveries allow better control of the storage period, which simplifies the problem of shelf life of inventory);
• reducing the time spent by the department for the preparation and the next carrying out of inventories;
• refusal from paper carriers (using the program for automating warehouse accounting, the necessary reports are simply and reliably generated, processed, and sent electronically).
With the warehouse management software, all logistics processes are carried out without any interruptions. This not only makes the daily work of workers easier, but also minimizes the number of potential sources of error.
Why to introduce WMS?
The business gets real advantages when serving customers. Accurate information about the location of the goods, the ability to quickly assemble the necessary goods in the right quantity provides the company with beneficial advantages, expressed in the delivery of orders on time, without delays, which ultimately forms high loyalty of your customers. It’s used to automate the work of the warehouse, which ensures the management of business processes and control of warehouse operations (acceptance, transfer, storage, picking, shipment, etc.), WMS integrates with the accounting programs of the enterprise, provides complete transparency data in the supply chain of the entire company.
The key functions of the WMS are as follows:
• automation of large warehouse operations: acceptance, order picking, accounting in the context of storage locations (including management of distributed warehouses), shipment of goods by a loader and the formation of closing documentation, work with rejects;
• fast and timely accounting for the cells of material values, their arrival and movement on racks and pallets;
• accurate maintenance of all warehouse documentation and address reporting system;
• timely and convenient keeping of a warehouse journal (cards);
• presentation and handling of storage system access;
• personnel management in the warehouse area;
• analysis of the warehouse process and selection of the best option for organizing business processes related to the volume of the warehouse;
• tracking the results of the warehouse and analyzing the characteristics of the flow of goods;
• especially increased productivity of warehouse workers;
• improving the quality of warehouse operations due to high processing accuracy and a significant reduction in the human factor;
• collection, processing, and search of data on warehouse operations and the ability to influence the details of warehouse management (motivation, etc.);
• integration with a barcode;
• integration with online cash register and accounting software;
The list goes on.
If the company already has an existing WMS and intends to update it, then the implementation of the new WMS will require tight and complex integration with the existing system and its data. Furthermore, while the new software will be tested and integrated, the new one must not stop working, even in any case. For this reason, the team responsible for that new WMS must be experienced and professional to avoid system errors in the future.
If you have any questions about the Warehouse Management Software’s creation, feel free to contact us if you would like to brainstorm ideas related to your WMS. Our experts will help you to optimally increase the return on your warehouse, which means you will earn millions.